It’s on the internet so I can use it! WRONG!
Everything on the internet is free! WRONG!
I found this great meme on social media so I can use it! WRONG!
Copyright is complicated, free is not necessarily free! It’s important you have a basic understanding of Creative Commons licensing.
Creative Commons is a recognised set of licenses, each granting different rights to use materials licensed under them. All of these licenses offer varying degrees of additional permissions than “all rights reserved.”
- CC0 Public Domain Dedication: means the owner has waived their copyrights. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
- Free Cultural Works is the most permissive of all CC licenses. They are the ones that can be most readily used, shared, and remixed by others, and go furthest toward creating a commons of freely reusable materials.
- Best Practices for attribution: One condition off all CC is attribution. Here are some good & bad examples of attribution.
The simplest way to stay out of trouble is to only use original content but it you want to be informed there are some great articles you can read up on. Here are just a few …
Laws change slightly in different countries. Australians can read up on Aussie copyright law at the Australian Copyright Council site.
There’s also a great article on wiki which is all about how to avoid infringing copyright or read Erica Napoletano’s interview with Cloudigy Law where she learns the 5 most common copyright myths.
Just this once … No-one will notice … WRONG! before you have any further illusions of invisibility, check out our article on reverse image lookup.
All Your Legals In One Place
As a new business owner, you need to ensure that your legal policies are up-to-date & compliant, but for most of us, adding hefty legal fees into our budget is scary stuff. EbD has partnered with LawPath to make this process easier for our tribe.
MyLawPath ♥ offers a monthly subscription service which provides you with the essential solutions every business needs, including:
- Unlimited access 200+ professionally-drafted legal documents
- Free consultations from LawPath’s 600+ lawyer network
- Expert legal guides for every stage of your business
And here’s the best bit, we’ve secured all our clients a free document to get started, so what are you waiting for? Protect your business now…
Have you ever realised an image you thought was legit, wasn’t? We’d love to hear your stories. Please comment below…