Colour is energy.
- It has a physical effect on us has been proved time and again in experiments.
- When blind people were asked to identify colours with their fingertips they were all able to do so easily.
- This is because colour is light which travels to us in waves.
The colours of our environment affect our behaviour and mood.
- When yellow daffodils, bluebells and colourful crocuses appear, we immediately begin to feel livelier.
- When grey skies and rain or snow surround us we instinctively draw in and tend to hibernate.
We know anecdotally about the sorts of messages colours tend to convey. But we need to bear in mind that the meaning any particular person gets from a colour depends on a multitude of factors such as age and gender, personal preferences, upbringing, and cultural differences.
In 1984 independent researcher Angela Wright set out to develop a unified theory of colour psychology and colour harmony. The theory resulted from exploration of the following questions:
- How does colour influence mood and behaviour?
- Why do individuals have different aesthetic responses to the same colour?
- What affective differences are there between different versions of the same spectral hue?
- Are there any universally attractive colours?
Her findings became the foundation for the re-knowned the ‘Colour Affects System’. These effects are unaffected by culture, gender or age and are therefore predictable.
The principal tenets of this theory are as follows:
- Each hue affects distinct psychological modes.
- The psychological effects of colour are universal.
- Every shade, tone or tint can be classified into one of four colour groups.
- Every colour will harmonise with every other colour in the same group.
- All humanity can be classified into one of four personality types.
- Each personality type has a natural affinity with one colour group.
- Response to colour schemes is influenced by personality type.
~ based on A Theory of Colour Psychology and Colour Harmony by Angela Wright FRSA.
Want to know more?
We have put everything about colour into a 30page eBook full of images & wisedom. 11 pages are devoted to specific colours & we discuss 4 colour sets. What really surprises a lot of our readers is the colour preferences by age & gender.
We finish off with a brand colour matris, we discuss how 2 major brands use colour & finally we do a big brand analysis.& all that for free!
Don’t wait … Download our “Colour your Business” eBook now …